Friday, August 5, 2011

Summer at the Sag

As a second time intern at Sagamore (having been an intern in January), I had some expectations about what my summer would be like. I loved my first experience here, and was thrilled to be doing actual research and contributing to the work of such an important institution. No intern grunt work here! Even so, this summer rose above and beyond what I had anticipated - an internship at Sagamore has to be one of the best internships around!


By far, one of the best and most exciting parts of being an intern was the Lunch and Learn program. Once a week, we would enjoy a lunch generously paid for by Sagamore and engage in discussions with Senior Fellows, board members, special guests, and one another. We were given challenging, thought-provoking materials to read and watch, then discuss them or listen to a lecture from one of our distinguished guests. It was really a pleasure to have this time designed specifically to encourage our curiosity and learning, and while it was definitely enjoyable, I think it also served to aid us in our research and work for Sagamore. Some of the most outstanding Lunch and Learn experiences were a trip to an Indianapolis Fever game and meeting with Jim Morris, a two-part visit with David Helmer, and a reading of the Theories of Moral Sentiments by Adam Smith. I really enjoyed learning from these people, and engaging in meaningful dialogue with my fellow interns, Sagamore employees, and board members.


Something that was different for me this summer was the number of high profile events I was able to attend and participate in, such as the Indiana-Africa Agriculture Convergence Summit and the visit of William Bull, Liberian Ambassador to the USA. Having done extensive research and writing of articles for these events, it was a thrill to see my hard work in the hands of these people. I knew how important all our work was to Sagamore, but actually seeing it come to fruition and knowing how it would be used in the future was the most rewarding part of this internship.


I have enjoyed getting to know the Sagamore staff so much better this summer and gaining from all they have to teach. I have learned more about my passions, expanded my academic horizons, and really been able to grow as a student and professional member of the community while interning here. Working at Sagamore was the highlight of my summer, and I can only hope that I will have the good fortune to work with them again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment