Thursday, July 28, 2011

Support the rebuilding of Liberia!!

         I started the day yesterday beginning on my own little project to keep me busy until Jay and I are able to meet and discuss what I will be researching for the Sagamore Institute.  Since 1990 Indianapolis has had exponential growth in their population and their economy.  All the while improving the aesthetics of the city itself, especially the downtown area.  They were able to do this by investing billions of dollars over twenty years that then led to an increased amount of diverse jobs, which leads to a greater tax base, and therefore encourages a higher quality of life and attracts many people to the city which brings in more revenue for the various businesses.  Indianapolis should be the model for any city that wants to turn itself around.  Before Indianapolis began to revitalize itself, most people would not consider even going downtown.  Professional sports have also helped the city boost its economy.  So I researched the methods that Indianapolis took in order to create a vibrant downtown, which by the way is ranked the 12th most affordable city in the nation, in an effort to see in what ways Detroit could possibly take similar steps.  John Morris and I spoke of this before but I can tell you that one huge mistake by the city of Detroit was to build the hallowed Renaissance Center.  While it has become the beacon for Detroit and the HQ for GM, it really has negative effects on the economy and revitalization.  What the building does is focus all of the attention in one building.  There is so much concentrated there that it is one of the only sites in Detroit that has been revitalized instead of trying to create a vibrant city in various areas throughout the region it concentrated it all in one spot along the riverfront.  Okay that will be the end of my very simplified economic rant.

     Yesterday's event is what I want to focus on.  Yesterday afternoon Sagamore Institute hosted a "Lunch Reception Honoring His Excellency William V. S. Bull: Liberia's Ambassador to the United States."  Talk about being at a place at the right time; that is what I have done here.  First of all if you do not know much, or anything, of Liberia it is officially known as the Republic of Liberia and it is the first country in Africa to ever become a republic.  There were indigenous people of the area but the country was founded when freed slaves from the early 1800s were shipped back to Africa, mostly influenced by James Monroe.  Coincidentally enough their capital city is called Monrovia and their flag is quite similar to our own here in the U.S.  Their motto is "the love of liberty brought us here" and their government is closely modeled after our own currently.

      The troubles for Liberia began in 1980 when a military coup overthrew the-then president and two civil wars were fought within twenty years.  The civil wars tore the country apart and they only recently held the first democratic election in many years in which the first woman became president, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf.  She has an honest message and genuine desire to rebuild the country that she loves, in which an estimated 85% of the country lives on less than $1.25 per day.  The great connection between Sagamore and Liberia as a mentioned before is that one of the senior fellows on staff was born and raised there, and by the grace of God was able to leave before the civil wars consumed him.

       Along with the Ambassador was Dr. Sei Buor who is also from Liberia, lived through much of the civil wars and then came to the United States to study at Loyola University in Chicago.  His story is truly amazing and I received a copy of his book titled No More Warand I plan to read it this weekend.  He spoke first at the luncheon and he was so inspiring!  His passions run deep and you can hear it in his voice.  He spoke of the rebuilding of Liberia and what he is personally doing.  His current project is building a two-story school that will allow students to actually have books that they can study from and have school supplies that are not available in their country.  It was truly an honor to meet him and be able to shake his hand. 

       After Dr. Sei Buor spoke, the ambassador stepped up to the podium and began to speak about similar things of Liberia and then of the Sagamore Institute, which is when I realized how blessed I am to be a part of this organization (even more than before).  He began to speak from his heart about how Sagamore Institute is highly revered in Liberia and the president herself is considering making a trip here soon in order to show her appreciation.  He truly feels indebted to this institute and when an entire country feels that way about such a small think-tank as this one, you become aware of how powerful the institute is and the people who comprise it. 

        After the luncheon portion of the event there was a fellowship where I was able to meet a representative from the Senator's office as well as one of the local congressman's office.  Brian (another intern) and myself asked if the representative would like a tour of the Levey Mansion and her and their office's intern agreed.  I felt pretty good when along the tour I was able to speak of more facts of the mansion than Brian, who has been interning here since last August.  I'm trying to say this in the most humble manner possible but I believe I am representing Eureka College well.  They loved the tour.  I mean everyone really would love the tour, this place is absolutely stunning.  After the tour I met the daughter of Dr. Sei Buor and others from Liberia.  I also was able to speak with someone from the Department of Agriculture. 

       While Dr. Sei Buor was speaking earlier in the day he invited everyone in the room to a Fundraising Banquet called "Step Into Our Story."  It is being held at Grace Community Church tonight and I am going to attend in order to represent Sagamore Institute as well as Eureka College.  I am very excited for this event and it is tonight at 6:30.  There will be traditional African food that Dr. Buor said he would not tell us how it was made otherwise we would not come.  He is a very down-to-earth comical man. 

       Also right now I am in progress of reading the book titled More God, Less Crime: Why Faith Matters and How It Could Matter More by Byron R. Johnson.  Byron Johnson will be at Sagamore on Monday night in order to present it as well as some fellowship so I am attempting to be ahead of the curve as I was for the last author.  This book they are actually requiring people to buy but Susan gave me a copy to have.

        I e-mailed Jay last night about setting up a project for me and we are meeting this afternoon so I am very excited to see what he has in store for me.  I truly love it here in all aspects.  There is not one person that works here that is not of an elite caliber and honestly if it were possible I would not mind working here the rest of my life.  I'm looking forward to my first weekend for the possibility of sleeping in and possibly going to the world's largest children's museum and maybe even to the Indianapolis Zoo!  I have been complimented many times on my professional dress and I have to thank some of my other mentors, John Morris and Mike Murtagh, for that; John for always wearing a suit and Mike for always telling me "Dress where you want to go."  I apologize for all of the pictures you are about to see but I want to give you an insight of what this place is.


Pictured left to right: Cassie, Brian, Donald Cassell, Dr. Sei Buor, Ambassador Bull, Tierney, myself, and Erin.

Below are the three books I have mentioned thus far in my blog.  I have, or will be, meeting all the authors.

My badge that unlocks the building and name tag.


The original skylight above the grand staircase.


The main hall, where most events take place.


The view of upstairs looking up from the main staircase.  Jay's office is the back corner.

Reagan and Eureka College is well represented here.  The Reagan picture is the one I mentioned earlier.

The main dining room.


Original jade fireplace imported from Italy.

Main hallway set up for Monday night's event.

The parlor where many important meetings take place.

The historical significance of the Levey Mansion, Sagamore Institute's home.

No comments:

Post a Comment